Thursday, December 12, 2013

A baby is crying, quick, call the cops!

Good afternoon everyone! I am about to share the story of my day. I hope you all enjoy! Here goes.. Today was going to be a bad day, I could feel it in my bones. Georgia had another (that would be three) sleepless night and that meant I had another sleepless night. She woke up with a scowl on her face which quickly turned into crying then screaming. I became her pacifier, because the plastic/silicone thing just wouldn't do. I was okay with that since it was keeping her quiet. She fell back asleep and so did I. Not an hour later, she was up and crying again. I had to start getting ready as I had told the Sister Missionaries from my church that I would be more than happy to go out with them today. I put Georgia in the bouncer, got a shower and then started to do my hair. That is when Hell broke loose and there would be no survivors. I listened to her scream for about 15 minutes, but you know when they are screaming each minute that passes seems like an hour. I tried to feed her- screams, I tried to change her- screams, so I put her back down and put on my clothes. Of course I was frustrated and I loudly said, "I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO, PLEASE TELL ME SO I CAN FIX IT!" And held back the tears of my own as I just couldn't handle it. I picked her up and held her while I did my makeup (talk about multitasking...Gisele would understand ;) ) Then I started to get Georgia dressed and I hear a knock on my front door...... It was........ THE COPS!!

Yes, a neighbor of mine had called the cops on me!! They said, "One of your neighbors called because they were concerned about the safety of the baby." I invited them in and of course the day I get the cops called on me my house looks like it has imploded, literally every drawer, cupboard, closet, nook and cranny had exploded into my living room/kitchen. It was awesome. So there I am, crying because the cops are standing in my front room and I feel like a complete idiot. I was humiliated, embarrassed, discouraged, and upset, to say the least. They left with some encouraging words, like "It's okay, we've all been there," and "Don't let the screaming get to you, everything will be okay." But I was NOT okay. I went back upstairs and called Cade. Luckily, he was on his way home from lunch so he could quickly save the day. When he got home, I was in the bathroom where I was dry heaving..Not really sure why I felt like I was going to throw up, but this is my day.... anyways, he comes in and asks about what happened, I tell him and I just feel defeated. I feel like the worst mom in the world. Cade tells me I'm the best and I change into comfier clothes and put clothes on Georgia... Oh yeah, she was just in a diaper this whole time..... my day... So, I call my mom we talk a little, she tells me to forget about it and by this time Georgia is asleep, and my mom tells me to take a nap with her. We go upstairs, I again become a pacifier and we watch Tinkerbell on my phone. I couldn't just "let it go" that's just not me. I decided to bake some cookies and write a letter to my dear, concerned neighbor... Now, your probably wondering how I know which neighbor it was, but by process of elimination, I know who it was. I baked the cookies and while they cooled I wrote this letter:

Dear Concerned Neighbor,

I apologize for the disruptance myself and my 3 Month-old daughter caused you this morning. Thank you for assuming the worst and calling the cops. I really appreciate the added stress you added to my already hectic day. I have seen that your children are out of the Newborn stage so you have probably forgotten the frustration one can have when there seems to be NOTHING you can do to stop the screaming.

I understand my words of frustration were spoken to loud and I will work to be more patient. Thank you for calling the cops. It really helped me to step back and re-evaluate how I handle the stress of being a first-time mother. Because of that call, it has inspired me to be an even BETTER mother! So I truly appreciate it.

I hope you can also learn that when your children are bouncing off the walls at 2&3 AM, we can hear it. Also , when your husband/boyfriend/partner yells, "SHUT UP!!" we hear that too.

So I guess we all learned a little from your phone call to our great city's law enforcement this morning. If you ever feel that maybe things on my side of the wall are getting a little crazy, please feel free to stop by or leave an encouraging note.

Please enjoy these cookies :)

Thank you again!

It may not be the most grammatically correct letter I have written, and I just learned that disruptance isn't a real word, but I think I made my point. I was going to be angry and hurt by the whole situation, but I decided that there is nothing I can do about it now, except move forward. Georgia is still incredibly fussy and I have her in the baby wrap, strapped to me so she won't cry, but tomorrow is a new day, so we will see what happens. Now, to laugh at myself and look back on this day as a learning experience. Of course I made a copy of the letter to put in Georgia's baby book. Don't worry, I plan on remembering this for the rest of my life! Have a great evening! I love you all!! -Britt

5 comments:

  1. So, that sounds like a truly terrible day. But you handled it with grace and just the perfect amount of bitchiness. And I mean that in the best possible way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's really gonna get easier. I'm glad your neighbor cared enough to call the cops. Too many people don't care or don't want to get involved even when a child's safety IS at stake. I know you're a good mother, but the stress will get to you occasionly. Just take deep breaths and thank God you have a healthy child. Love you guys and hope to see all of you someday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so awesome. When chris worked nights in Idaho, and I was by myself all the time after Reed was born. Reed would cry for up to 2 hours or until he cried himself to sleep, because I had to take care of cassidee and put her to sleep before I could see to him. It seemed to take forever and I thought I was awful for neglecting him, but we made it through! You are not a bad mom if your baby cries! At least you are trying your best to sooth her and help her. Keep up the hard work, and don't worry if you have to let your baby cry by themselves. She's going to cry whether you hold her or not, so give yourself a break. :). Thanks for sharing your story! At least you made an effort to shower! That's more than I can say...lol!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Brit, you handled that with elegance and might I add sass :) I love how neatly you made their cookies ha ha they probably assume the worst because that is what happens in their liv es. They don't understand the love that resonates through your family. Love you and know you are AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brittany, I love all of the above comments. What Hayley said about the neighbors assuming the worst because of what happens in their lives is so right on. Every mom in the world has been in your place with a baby. You love them, but they can be extremely frustrating at times. I love your sweet/bitchy response (Faeth's comments). It sounds like a tough, upsetting day. Hopefully if tomorrow isn't better, the next day will be. You ARE a great mom. It WILL get better. Love you!

    ReplyDelete